6 December 2013

Back Again - Friday 6 December 2013

It's now three years since I posted on this blog. In the intervening time I have gained a few pounds - nothing excessive, just some weight creep.  However the weight creep has reached the stage where it is getting a little worrying as a few items of clothing are getting too tight.

I have spent the year hovering between 9st 4lbs and 9st 6lbs. I see looking back at the blog that weight creep is an ongoing problem with me. I would love to be back at 8st 7lbs but oh dear its nearly a stone away now.

This year I have learnt the following with respect to diet:


  • A calorie really isn't always a calorie - an experiment with low carb eating proved that you can eat lots of fat and not gain weight.
  • In general though the calorie equation holds and less calories and more exercise tends to decrease your weight.
  • Overeating anything, even on a low carb diet, makes me gain weight.
  • I like low carb eating as a general thing and am now happy to eat less structured meals, as in I don't now bother with half a plate of carbs, quarter meat, quarter veg.
  • Complete low carb eating frustrates me because I enjoy carbs.
  • Complete low carb eating doesn't seem to be great for my digestive functions.
  • Even though I know sugar is bad for me I have difficulty resisting it.
  • Giving in to the sugar craving doesn't stop it - I end up eating even more of it.
  • If I am not accountable in some way I eat more than I need.
  • I will need to keep a food diary for ever - its just the way my mind works.
  • Keeping the food diary is the only thing that has kept my weight as low as it is.
It's now the run up to Christmas - danger time for me. I want to post my food diary on the internet again, even though probably no-one is reading this blog, that's not the point, they could do if they wanted.

Hopefully that will make me less likely to eat 2 chocolate bars in one go and constantly snack throughout the day. It's not just about the weight; I'm conscious that having experimented with different styles of eating this year, namely low carb, paleo and intuitive eating, and also taking a break on the cooking blog I was writing for, I have ended up with a not terribly healthy diet at this stage, and that needs to change.


No comments:

Post a Comment